The Certificate aims to provide a foundation for theological study by introducing the major subject areas of theology, ministry and mission. It involves 6-8 modules (i.e.120 credits) and is normally taken over 1-2 years. The award is validated by Durham University. Students may build on the Certificate with a Diploma or BA (Hons) through future study.
Each module requires two assignments of 2,500 words each, or equivalent. Some modules are assessed by essays, other by a presentation or written reflection on Christian practice.
Students are normally expected to have A-Level or equivalent qualifications, though previous informal study or Christian ministry may be taken into account.
- Introduction to Old Testament
- Introduction to New Testament
- Brief Introduction to Church History
- Introduction to Christian Doctrine
- Mission and Evangelism
- Foundations for Reflective Practice
Additional Barnabas Teaching Centre Modules:
- Introduction to Studying the Bible in Greek
- Preparing to Learn
- Introduction to Preaching