Helen originally trained as a musician, specialising in singing and piano. She holds degrees in both music and theology. Following a teaching career, she was ordained in 1998 in Norwich Diocese. She served her curacy in St Mary Magdalene Church, Gorleston, before becoming Associate Vicar of Brightside and Wincobank in Sheffield. After ten years as the Bishop’s Adviser in Music and Worship for Sheffield Diocese, Helen now has a national role as Head of Ministerial Training for the Royal School of Church Music working in partnership with Praxis. She brings a wealth of experience in encouraging and training worship leaders and musicians across the full spectrum of tradition and style. With a passion for mission, Helen is also part of the national team for Leading your Church into Growth and a member of GROW, the Group for Renewal of Worship. She is an active reflective practitioner modelling good liturgy and music in a variety of worship styles. She remains rooted in the local church regularly leading worship as an SSM her husband’s parish, The Rivers Team, near Rotherham.
- Worship 4 Today, A course for worship leaders and musicians, Part 1: Laying a firm foundation (CHP, 2013)
- Worship 4 Today, A course for worship leaders and musicians, Part 2: Developing key skills (CHP, 2013)
- Worship 4 Today, A course for worship leaders and musicians, Part 3: Consolidating and expanding horizons (CHP, 2014)
Research and Supervision Interests
- Music and worship in the local church – currently writing a short 5 session course for RSCM/Praxis due for publication in January 2018
- Worship in times of grief and sorrow – currently researching and writing a Grove booklet due for publication Autumn 2017
- Worship in fresh expressions