Mark studied English Literature and History in York at the then University College of Ripon & York St John. After graduation, he worked for IFES (International Fellowship of Evangelical Students) in Ukraine for 2 years, before returning home to pursue ordination. He trained at Cranmer Hall, and then went on to serve his curacy at St Mary the Virgin, Ponteland, in Newcastle Diocese. Whilst in Newcastle Diocese he was part of the Diocesan Evangelism Taskgroup that delivered a MAP-based Mission Strategy for the diocese. After the completion of his curacy he worked as University Chaplain at Newcastle University, and then as a Team Vicar & Pioneer Minister in the Retford Area Team Ministry in Southwell & Nottingham Diocese. During this time he was a tutor delivering Lay Reader training for the All Saints Centre for Mission & Ministry course. He completed his part-time PhD from Durham on Evangelical responses to homosexuality in 2013. He was appointed Academic Tutor at St Hild College in 2017. Mark lives in Wakefield with his wife, Leah and their children.
- “Sharing our Faith” - Newcastle Diocese Evangelism Strategy 2005 – Sections 1, 2, 3 & 6, and final editing of the whole document.
- “What are Fresh Expressions?” – Newcastle Diocese Sharing our Faith booklet 2008
- The Scandal of Evangelicals and Homosexuality (Ashgate, Aldershot, 2015)
Research and Supervision Interests
- Contemporary church, culture, & mission
- The work of Rene Girard
- Doctrine (especially ecclesiology)
- Ethics (especially sexuality, gender & relationships)