Stephen studied Theology at Oxford and completed doctoral research there on Archbishop William Temple. Having worked as a school teacher in Zimbabwe, he trained for ministry in Edinburgh and has served in parishes in Harlesden (NW London), Bulawayo (Zimbabwe), Caton (Lancashire) and Brighouse (West Yorkshire). Stephen joined the staff of the Northern Ordination Course in 2003, which became the Yorkshire Ministry Course in 2007 and St Hild College in January 2017. He became Vice Principal in 2015. Stephen has three children, now grown up, and his wife Sally is a Methodist Minister in Huddersfield. He is Tanzania Link Officer for the Diocese of Leeds and a canon of Musoma Cathedral in Mara, Tanzania. He enjoys walking, cycling and painting as well as writing and visiting Africa.
- William Temple: A Calling to Prophecy (SPCK)
- Christ in All Things: William Temple and His Writings (Canterbury Press)
- SCM Studyguides on Christian Mission, Anglicanism and Church History
- Creative Ideas for Seasonal Retreats (Canterbury Press)
Research and Supervision Interests
- Reformation and modern Anglican theology and practice (esp. Anglican social theology)
- Missiology (esp. models of church growth)